Sunday, August 19, 2012

my summer hair savers

it's been soooo hot this July & August. usually when summer rears its head, i play it safe and throw my hair up in a messy bun. but this summer has been different, ive been inspired by my new obsession with boho-style maxi dresses, big chunky jewellery and gladiator-esque sandals. 

braids of all different styles and sizes have been my saving grace. almost everyday i've donned a braid-accessorized-'do! there's just something so fun and light about throwing a braid or two into your daily hairstyle! my two favourites are: the dutch braid and the fishtail braid. both are super-de-duperly easy but look quite the opposite. the pictures below are from today, wearing my mini dutch braid to keep my unkempt bangs at bay. 
the dutch braid i wore today was a dutch-french braid -didja get that? lol- to create a dutch-french braid, simply braid 'outward' instead of 'inward'. this makes it so the braid looks as if it's sitting on top and not underneath. after i've braided my sections to my desired braid length, i pin it to the rest of my hair and then i lightly pull pieces of the braid to loosen it and make it more 'relaxed'. i prefer this braid over a regular french braid any day. 

photo credit: Hairstyles Weekly
second, the beautiful fishtail braid. love love love this braid! i usually will clip in my Luxy Hair Extensions to give my hair extra length and make the braid a bit thicker.. even though ive got more hair than i know what to do with most days. this braid is simple, too, once you get the hang of it!
take two, same-sized sections. take one small piece from the back of the first section, move it over to the front of the second section. take a small piece from the back of the second section and move it over to the front of the first section. it sounds so confusing, but it really is a piece of cake! the key with this braid is small sections. the smaller the sections, the more defined the fishtail will look :)


if you're looking for something to save your tresses after days in the sun, i highly recommend Goldwell's Rich Repair 60 Second Treatment. this is by far the best at-home treatment that i've ever used. once a week is plenty for this 'smells-good-enough-to-eat' hair treat. thanks for saving my hair from a state of shock, Goldwell!

happy braiding!
-tasha xo


No comments:

Post a Comment

hi! thank you so much for reading my blog!
leave me a comment, and i'll be sure to answer back :)
i also follow back, too!
have a beautiful day, ♥natasha